This half-day conference will bring together policymakers, scholars, and activists from different EU Member states to interrogate the impact of 20 years of “War on Terror” on Muslim communities and Muslim civic space in Europe.
The event will be moderated by Shada Islam and have opening speeches given by
- Professor Fionnuala D. Ní Aoláin – UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism
- Momodou Malcolm Jallow – Representative Parliamentary Assembly Council of Europe and General Rapporteur on combating racism and intolerance Committee on Equality and Non-Discrimination
Contribution from civil society representatives will speak on the securitization of Muslims, discriminatory surveillance practices and the chilling effect of measures to prevent and counter-terrorism in the European Member States.
- Chafika Attalai, Advocacy Officer – CCIE
- Rumeysa Dür-Kwieder, Board member and Project Officer – Dokustelle Austria
- Sarah Chander, Senior Policy Advisor – European Digital Rights
- Shezana Hafiz, Campaign Coordinator – CAGE
Speakers will also discuss ideas and strategies on achieving safety for all without securitization, surveillance, and racialization. Further contributions will be provided amongst others by
- Julie Pascoët, Senior Advocacy Officer ENAR
- Farid Hafez, Visiting Professor of International Studies, Williams University
- Precilia Mpanu-Mpanu, Cabinet Commissioner Helena Dalli – European Commission
- Tufyal Choudhury, Associate Professor, LLM, Durham University